Many entrants find it beneficial to organize a "mini-contest" to raise awareness and participation. There are several ways to organize this type of event so that it fits your entry classification and goals.
The objectives of a local contest are to:
- Increase awareness of the national awards program and its direct and indirect benefits to the environment, the entrant and to the quality of life.
- Promote the development of ornamental horticulture.
- Encourage the promotion of tourism.
- Create opportunities for residents' participation.
Targeted audiences include:
- Public institutions (schools, libraries, churches)
- Civic groups (Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Optimists, Jaycees, Young Professionals and many others)
Competition categories can be modified to your target audience; here are just a few examples:
- Balconies in Bloom
- Containers in Bloom
- Best Bloomin’ Business
- Best Bloomin’ Mobile Home
- Churches in Bloom
- Most Prolific Vegetable Garden